Sunday 28 January 2018

Doing those big hikes with a stoma

This year for Christmas I got my wife some cool gifts.  She really wanted to see all the national parks in the country before she dies.  I decided to get some cool books with fun things to do in each and everyone for her to help plan.  Yes, the internet exists in 2021 but it is nice to have some solid things in life to remind you.  This is all pretty awesome because the United States is one of the most diverse countries in the world. Not only do we have a plethora of different types of people but the topography and the land we have is absolutely diverse.  Beauty beyond belief can be found on every continent, and I am just happy there is so much of it on the one I live.  Going to a national park can be a dramatically different experience depending on what side of the country you are on and there is always something new to see.  I love going out to visit different locations across this country and sometimes it is a little bit more work considering that I have a stoma.  Now I would say that for the most part, it is really not that much different than going to a park with a regular person, but I do tend to bring some extra gear along with me when I hit the parks. It is always wise to be prepared.  



So one of the things that my wife and I love to do is to go hiking.  One of my favorite parks to visit is the Grand Tetons and the amazing amount of views and hiking that can be done there is just overwhelming.  It is an incredible place and I like to make sure when I go that I am capable of seeing a lot of different things.  My average day in the Tetons consists of doing about 15-25 miles of hiking per day.  But with my wife, we do about 2 to 4 so we all can stay happy.


You really have to know when to do more or simply less.  Now this is a lot of physical work and many people would not think that it would be that fun, but with that amount of hiking, I get to see more then the average visitor would.  I prefer to take extra ostomy gear along with me on the hikes.  I usually use my Hollister Ostomy Supplies gear and it has served me well.  Now I would say this before you go and hit the trails make sure you have extra gear with you.  So if that means popping online and heading to Hollister Ostomy Supplies and making an order before you leave on your trip do it!.  It is always better to be prepared than not! 


As long as I have extra gear the biggest trouble is choosing what trail to hike!  My preference is to view places where people seldom go.  It makes the sights more precious to me and usually means it's simply more secluded and makes the whole trip seem wilder. But be smart and be safe with this whole thing too. Not every place is good to go with inexperienced people or people who don't want to be there.  Just be smart. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips To Live With A Stoma

If you have bowel cancer, you may have to undergo surgery. This surgery may end up giving you a stoma , which is an opening in the abdomen t...