Saturday 28 January 2017

Can you Ride a Motorcycle with a Stoma and be safe?

There are a few things in life that are really cool.  I enjoy doing some things that most people would never think of me doing.  One of those is enjoying a good motorcycle ride.  I would admit that I am most definitely a person that does not fit that whole mold. My look does not scream Harley guy at all.  But I do enjoy riding motorcycles and feeling the open road on my face and body.  Lots of people actually fit into that mold and many of them ride bikes or use skateboards to feel the exact same way.  It really is that feeling of being free and focusing on something to keep your mind free.  This is something that really hits home hard with me.  But one thing many people don't know is that you can enjoy this hobby and even thrive in this hobby if you have had an ostomy.  I have talked to some individuals who were so afraid they would have to give up some of their most favorite past times by having an ostomy.  Luckily, I can assure most people that the majority of tasks and hobbies they enjoyed before are still available to them and in some cases are more available.  So what do I mean by this and how do you stay safe?  Well, that is pretty simple and it is getting good gear and understanding how it all works. 



Just like learning to deal with your stoma on a day to day basis, you must learn to ride a motorcycle.  And being able to ride a motorcycle is a skill that is very much learned.  It does not come naturally and lots of information and work goes into becoming a safe and skilled rider.  Lots of people don't talk about some of the downsides of being on a motorcycle and that is having to go to the bathroom during a long ride.  For some reason, I always felt like I had to go a little more when I was riding versus when I was driving a car.  But when you are stocked up with the right ostomy supplies you can ride a much longer amount of time without having to stop.  That is just a cool fact that I love to point out when riding with friends. 



When I am on a long trip I am always safe and prepared for the worst.  I would say that it is important to double up on gear just in case something does go wrong on your motorcycle ride.  I mean rain happens and worst-case scenario crashes do occur. I would say it is important to have a extra set of ostomy supplies somewhere on your motorcycle in case something does happen.


Many motorcycles have extra storage on the bike themselves and I prefer to put my things in a waterproof bag and stuff it in.  Some of my motorcycles have a seat that comes off with a compartment underneath.  Many people keep a manual or tools in this location and I put my gear there as well.  There are also saddlebags that can be added to most motorcycles or my preference a tank bag. You do what works best and enjoy the ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tips To Live With A Stoma

If you have bowel cancer, you may have to undergo surgery. This surgery may end up giving you a stoma , which is an opening in the abdomen t...